Monday, November 26, 2012

I'm Thankful for "Firsts"



Like most around this time of year, I tend to reflect on what I have to be thankful for, and it seems like the list just keeps growing year after year. Not only do I have a fantastic husband who supports me in all I do, I have a beautiful baby girl, a handsome nephew, a loving family, and a beautiful house to create memories in for years to come. 

Last year, shortly before we moved in, we volunteered to host thanksgiving in our new home and were so excited to have both sides of both of our families over to celebrate together. Usually, we bounce from house to house to try to see all sides of the family at their own homes. As Thanksgiving got closer, I was a little nervous that I wouldn’t be able to pull it off. The idea of getting the house ready, groceries bought, and food prepared to have nearly 30 people over (all with a four month old on my hip) overwhelmed me a bit. I was determined to get everyone under one roof though, at least for one year. 

I prepped as much as I could, as early as I could, but was still convinced things would fall apart at the last minute somehow. My mom and Leigh came over the afternoon before, and I realized I’d gotten ahead of myself with all this planning and prepping. We literally sat around and talked, because there was hardly anything else to be done to prepare. Nonetheless, we had a great time! Later that evening Dustin and I put in a DVD and decided to settle down for the night- until Addelyn started giggling for the first time! It was so cute to hear her, and we were able to get it on video (unlike her rolling over, which we’re still waiting for!). 

Thanksgiving morning rolled around and things continued to go smoothly. As food was prepared, we put it in the chafers to stay warm, and everything ended up being ready about the same time…and it was delicious! Every year before we eat, Parish encourages us to go around the room and tell everyone what we’re thankful for. It took a few minutes to get around the room with the number of people we had, but it made me realize again just how wonderful life is, not only for me, but for our families as well. Of course, Dustin and I were thankful for our gorgeous little lady and all the joy she brings to us as she grows. 



All in all, I’d say Thanksgiving 2012 was a wild success, and a day of “firsts” for lots of us. It was our first time hosting Thanksgiving in our home, Kyler and Addelyn’s very first Thanksgiving, and our first time getting both sides of both families together. Simply couldn’t ask for more!  


Getting the turkey ready...

Jessi's thankful for music, books, and energy drinks.

Wondering how the turkey turned out...

AMAZING.

Dustin wished for an M3...I wished to cancel out his wish.

Time to eat!

Leigh sneaking bites!

Looong day for a hungry boy!

My loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment